Sunday, March 23, 2014

Taipei Lobster Place Review: The Lobster Bar

Review: The Lobster Bar

The Lobster Bar Hours (be aware they close during the breaks on weekdays):
Tue – Thu: 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm – 12:00 am
Fri: 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm – 2:00 am
Sat: 5:00 pm – 2:00 am
Sun: 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Phone: (02) 2771 0333 MRT: Daan
The Lobster Place Review from www.hethousandthgirl.com/lobster-bar/

   So it all started when a friend posted a series of pictures on Facebook; nicely filtered with VSCO, of course. I flipped throught them + sighed: That logo font! Those fishing-boat lights! (Not that I’ve ever been on a fishing boat, mind you). 
 
   That graphic rendering of a lobster anatomy, looking freshly torn from a 18th-century naturalist’s notebook! (Not that I’ve ever met an 18th-century naturalist, for obvious reasons, or seen the notebook of one). Oh wait, and is that a lobster roll?

   Oh well, I thought, probably some place in Brooklyn. Why does every single bar + restaurant in Brooklyn have to look so stupidly cool? It’s sickening, really. 
And then I saw the check-in location.
 And then I messaged Jeffrey, the owner of The Lobster Bar.

   People, lobster rolls have been in Taipei for months now, with me none the wiser.
And then I was actually sitting in The Lobster Bar, on a cloudy afternoon in Taipei, Taiwan, for a lunch of lobster rolls


DSC_0361
DSC_0426
DSC_0423
. DSC_0342
DSC_0347
   It’s still mind-boggling to me that places like this exist in Taipei. More + more of these “New American” joints are popping up around town, with decor lifted straight out of the bona fide American hipster-villes (Portland, Brooklyn, San Francisco) and introducing countless new dishes that have never been seen in Taipei.

   The first inkling I got was when the sisters at Pig & Pepper brought NYC halal-style chicken & rice; then NOLA Kitchen & Bakery 49 brought the chicken + waffles thing to the table, Beer  & Cheese Social House bringing fancy grilled cheese & beer/cheese pairings…and it’s just been continuing on since then (note: I’m writing about these developments in the order that I’ve experienced them, not in the order that these places have opened).

   Many of these restaurants have been opened by foreigners/ABCs or Taiwanese that have come back from a stint abroad, as Jeffrey did, with a vision of bringing something entirely fresh to the competitive Taipei restaurant scene.

    The Lobster Bar opened late last year, and has been steadily gaining a faithful clientele with its take on seafood-based dishes. Although the manager at The Lobster Bar tried to convince me that there wasn’t a clear favorite in terms of dishes, I didn’t buy that for a second. All hail the lobster roll! Continue

No comments:

Post a Comment